Friday 28 September 2012

Music

Parenthood is a learning journey. And what I learnt tonight was that my Kids are little shits.

Earlier on I picked up my guitar for the first time in a long time. I've been planning to learn a couple of new songs, so I checked the internet and started trying out an Ed Sheeran song. I pretty much got it nailed when the Boy and Girl walked into the living room. The Girl listened for a moment and then, rather melodramatically clapped her hands over her ears, gave an ear-slipping scream and ran hurly-burly from the room. The Boy looked at me disapprovingly and put his hands on his hips.

"Dad?"
"Yes?"
"Are you playing the guitar again?"
"Er... yes."
"Don't."

I remonstrated with him for a moment.

"I wasn't singing!"
"Yeah. But you're playing guitar and the Girl's frightened."
"What's she frightened of?"

I haven't got a lot of pride, my Kids have largely removed what little I had. But what he said next nailed down the lid and planted it.

"She thinks you're hurting the guitar."

Distantly I heard the Girl, now upstairs, yell;

"Are you angry with the guitar, daddy?"

And then, just to really stick it in and break it off the Boy followed this up with;

"And we both think that song is rubbish."

The Boy has very particular taste in music. For instance, at the age of six he's become quite partial to his uncle's band. Which is thrash metal (and now I wait for a Facebook comment - written in bingo - along the lines of; "We R a death-thrash-garage-fusion, m8 wot R U thinkin?" - so my apologies up front). To put this in perspective, here's a link to his favourite track by his uncle's band 


I put this fairly unusual taste in music down to the fact that My Chemical Romance were number 1 when he was born. He's quite prone to sing "Five Little Ducks" and with the next breath break into a gusty rendition of "Sex on Fire." Sometimes in church. 

Still, at least his taste in music is similar to mine. The Girl was born when an X-Factor song was number one. So her taste in music is god-awful. When she first saw the Spice Girls her eyes went the size of saucers. She pretty much looked like this;

I luuuuuuurve the Spice Girls

She listens to the Spice Girls at every given opportunity.

She's got a bloody cheek criticising my music.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, feel free to comment - whether its praise or criticism.

I will ignore the criticism though.