Saturday 29 October 2011

Sans Children

Earlier in the week the Wife and I took the decision not to talk to each other. This was based on the fact that we were due to spend six hours in a car together with no children. Since our lives now revolve primarily around the kids, or work, we needed to maximise our things to talk about.
A short while ago I took the decision to sing "Heaven must be missing an angel" to the Wife. This went down like a cup of cold sick. So we switched on the radio and found something we could both complain about.
Not having the kids around for a while is always a bit like when you have a power failure at home. Initially its a bit of a novelty, but after a short while you get bored with it, and end up waiting for things to get back to normal. Where this comparison falls down is that within half an hour of the power coming back you don't start praying for another power failure.
Just did a quick experiment and it seems that dancing is off the menu too. However, the Wife did just say; "Look! A tractor! A BLUE one! " So it seems being patronised is on the cards.
Being able to have undisturbed sleep is the main perk of being Sans Children. At no point last night did I have to return a dummy, change a nappy, respond to the Boy yelling "I'm bored! ". Nor was I awoken by the words; "Daddy, can you wipe my bum? " And if the Wife and I had chosen to do something other than sleep, we wouldn't have had to resort to ninja-sex.
Despite all of this, I miss my kids. Mainly because right now they're probably doing something unutterably bonkers, and I'm missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, feel free to comment - whether its praise or criticism.

I will ignore the criticism though.