Tuesday 3 April 2012

Shouting Soup

About a month ago we bought the Boy a high sleeper bed which is essentially the top part of a bunk bed with a desk underneath. As with all things we've bought for the Kids, like drum kits and foam swords, this hasn't been without repercussions. Such as being woken up at three in the morning by the Boy plaintively yelling

"Help! I need a wee and I can't get down!"

Or when he fell asleep in the car and I had to try to throw him into a bed level with the top of my head.

However, Kids have a way of finding new and interesting ways of making you regret what seemed like a good idea at the time. And so it was last night that I found myself walking into his bedroom at ten at night because he was calling me. As I walked over to the side of his bed I noticed the unmistakeable smell of vomit.

Crap.

"Have you been sick, Boy?"
"Yes."

He said, cheerfully. The Boy has always been an enthusiastic vomiter.

"Ah. Were you sick on your bed?"
"No."

This was when I realised my feet were wet. On switching on the light I discovered exactly what happens when a small boy vomits from a height of six foot onto a wooden floor. It was EVERYWHERE. It covered almost his entire bedroom floor, his bookshelf, desk, toys, the chest of drawers on the other side of the room and, most importantly, me.

"Wow! Look at all that sick, dad! I must be empty!"

Even when I'm on the other side of the house I still get covered in sick.

It took me an hour and a half to clean up. I even had to shower his toys. And all the time I was doing this the Boy regaled me with his pearls of wisdom

"When I was at Grandma's I felt sick but I wasn't sick but then I came home and went to bed and I was sick."
"Yeah, I know."
"Yeah. Cos there's some on your shoulder."

Eventually it all got cleared up, the Boy lay down, said goodnight and started snoring. I have to hand it to him, he always deals with these things really well.

When I got home from work today I found the Girl going a light shade of green and sure enough she blew her groceries all over me within the hour. Seriously, it's ALWAYS me. Like the Boy the Girl is a real solder when she's ill, and the second time she was sick she cleared her throat, had a drink of water and asked me why I didn't wear toenail varnish.

Bless 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, feel free to comment - whether its praise or criticism.

I will ignore the criticism though.