Thursday 21 June 2012

Arse

I just spent two hours wandering around thinking I was being attacked by a jester. Everywhere I went I could hear the cheery jingling of bells, which rapidly became really bloody annoying. I didn't manage to work out where it was coming from until the Boy was dropped off from his swimming lesson and greeted me with

"Why have you got a spoon sticking out of your bum?"

Now in my defence, the spoon wasn't actually sticking out of my bum. And technically it wasn't really a spoon it was a reindeer. Or a wooden spoon painted to look like a reindeer (complete with a bell on its collar - hence the jingling noise), which the Girl had pushed through the belt loops of my jeans whilst I wasn't paying attention. This makes me fear the day that she learns to spell rude words, because at some point I'm going to end up wandering around with "Bell end" written on my forehead. Not that I need this, people come to that conclusion astonishingly quickly when they meet me. Once, at a festival someone threw a pint glass full of piss at me from about thirty feet away. It's rare that people have such good aim and are such a good judge of character.

Bums are an oft-commented-upon part of life's rich pageant of life in our house. Recent the Boy clumped himself on the wall and yelled

"Ow! My butt!"

It was odd enough that he was using an Americanism, but even weirder because he'd hit his head.

Whilst we were on "holiday" in the New Forest I was dutifully taking pictures (with my phone, through binoculars - we've lost our camera). I'd had a bit of a row with the Boy because it was impossible to take a photo of him without his tongue sticking out. Finally on a little bridge over a stream, with a beautiful pastoral scene in the background I got him to stand in the right place and then lined up the shot. At which point he mooned me.

You may have noticed that things I do often come back to haunt me. And so it is with the Boy. Two days ago at bed time I had ordered the Kids to get into their pyjamas after bath time. The pair of them had been running around naked, jumping up and down and generally acting like they were in "Where the Wild Things Are." I went out to the bathroom to tidy up the mayhem they'd wreaked, and that was when I heard the Boy say;

"AARRRRRGH!!!!"

He then ran into the bathroom clutching his bum and told me, very earnestly

"Dad, the Girl stuck her finger in my bum!"

Naturally I reacted to this the way any good parent would, and burst out laughing, causing the Boy to have a minor meltdown. In fairness, I was laughing partly out of relief.

Imagine if she'd had a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, feel free to comment - whether its praise or criticism.

I will ignore the criticism though.