Friday 11 November 2011

Respect

I read a news article today about a poor little girl who had been born prematurely and had spent the first two years of her life intubated. When doctors finally removed the tube this week her first words were; "I love you, daddy." I love this story, and it gave me a great deal of hope. Hope that was shattered when I discovered the NHS doesn't intubate children on request of their parents. I now have no idea why I pay my taxes. If that little Girl had been one of my Kids the ending of the story would have no doubt been less Disney and more Edgar Allen Poe. Something like,

"You'll be dead by the time I learn to drive."

Nice. Its not that he's being nasty. He just has a bit of a morbid sense of humour. And whilst he's not necessarily disrespectful as such, he does love throwing the odd insult my way. Generally when you're expecting sympathy. Such as after a hard day at work and he says;

"Why are you sad, daddy? Is it because your bum smells of poo?"

Maybe he's trying to put my problems on his level so he can empathise. But then I'm not sure

"Had had, you said your wedding ring is made from nine carrots! You're an idiot!"

Because sometimes its a bit mean

"Don't worry, Boy - my cold will go away soon."
"When its bored of you?"

Of course, we do reprimand him when he's rude like this. But its quite hard when other people are laughing at what he's saying, or worse, nodding in agreement. At least I'm safe in the knowledge that it isn't just aimed at me.

"Where's mum?"
"In the bath... where are you going??"
"I'm gonna wee on her!"

I didn't let him, in case you're wondering. As for the Girl, well her abuse is more physical. If its not just the threat

"Daddy's head broken. I fix it."
"Ah, that's sweet. With a kiss?"
"With a hammer."
"Er..."

Its actual violence.

"Can I have a kiss, Girl?"
Girl head butts me.
Boy: "Ha, ha, ha! That was brilliant! Can I do that, Dad?"

Or psychological

"Eat!"
"Er... oh, thanks. What am I eating?"
"Bogie!"

I am however told that its not a lack of respect on the part of my Kids. Its a lack of anything to respect.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, feel free to comment - whether its praise or criticism.

I will ignore the criticism though.